Our Commitment to Protecting Your Privacy (United Way British Columbia)
United Way British Columbia is committed to protecting the privacy of its stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with and of the public, and we recognize that maintaining this trust requires us to be transparent and accountable in maintaining the confidentiality of the personal information that you choose to share with us. United Way British Columbia embraces the principles of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). We are committed to ensuring that all personal information is properly collected, used only for the purposes for which it is collected, and is disposed of in a safe and timely manner when no longer required.
The Privacy Principles
United Way British Columbia is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. The following principles reflect our pledge to safeguard your personal information:
- We are accountable for your personal information: We are responsible for all personal information in our possession or under our control. All employees, agents and authorized service providers of United Way British Columbia are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. We take every precaution to ensure confidentiality of your information. The information that an individual or an employer provides to us is used only for United Way purposes as outlined in section 2.
- We collect, use and disclose personal information only for certain purposes that we identify to you: We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily provide via email or other direct contact from you. We will not share this information with any third party outside of our organization without consent. We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly. Personal information collected will be limited to that required for the purposes identified by us.
- We will obtain your consent: We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your permission. The way we seek consent may vary depending on the sensitivity of the information and the reasonable expectations of the individual. Your permission may be expressed in writing or it may be implied and may be given to us verbally or electronically. You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. We respect your right to be removed from our mailing list. You always have the opportunity to decline receiving further communication from us by contacting our Privacy Officer, Nina Eckert at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will obtain individual consent before making information available to third parties.
- We will limit collection: We will limit the amount and type of personal information collected to that which is necessary for our identified purposes.
- We will limit use, disclosure and retention: We will keep your personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained or as required by law. Where personal information is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes, it will be destroyed, erased, or made anonymous.
- We keep your personal information accurate and up to date: We will use our best efforts to ensure that personal information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not correct.
- We safeguard your personal information: We will protect personal information with safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Our safeguards will protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which the information is held.
- We will be open about our privacy practices: We will make readily available to you specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We allow you to access your personal information: Upon written request, we will inform an individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and we will provide access to that personal information. We will respond to an individual’s written request within a reasonable time (generally within 30 days).
- You may register a complaint: You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting United Way British Columbia Privacy Officer. We will explain our procedure and provide information about other complaint procedures available. If we find a complaint to be justified, we will take all appropriate measures, including if necessary, amending our policies and practices.
For more information, please contact our Privacy Officer, Nina Eckert at 604.294.8929 or by email at email@example.com